Create an Email
To design an email with the Visual Builder:
- Create a new Single Email Campaign, Email Series, or Automation email
- Under Which email builder would you like to use? Select Visual Builder
- Click Continue
- Select a Drip template, Saved template, Recently edited email, or + Start from scratch as a starting point for your email
Now you’re ready to design your email.
Access our pre-designed Drip email templates in the Visual Email Builder under the Drip templates tab when you go to create a new email.
Access your Visual Email Builder templates under the Saved templates tab when you go to create a new email.
Recently Edited Emails
Access your most recently edited Visual Email Builder emails under the Recently edited emails tab when you go to create a new email.
After you choose a starting point you'll enter the builder.
Visual Builder Layout
The Visual Builder includes 3 main sections:
The Header is where brand logos are placed. This area of the layout can be turned off to suit the needs of your email design. To turn off the header, click Settings > Background, Width, Header and toggle off "Show Header."
Sections are for the main content of the email. There can be multiple sections within the layout, such as using one section per product and description to display. To add additional sections, click the Section button and drop your new section where you want it in the email.
The Footer area is for your general business information. This includes your postal address, "from" email address, and unsubscribe link.
Settings are the base styles of your email. They determine aspects of the design, such as the width, background, and text and button colors for the email. Set your default styles to match the look and feel of your brand for a consistent look between your store and email design.
To edit your Settings:
- Click Settings
- Configure your styles as desired for this email
- Click Save Changes
Editing your Settings in an individual email will not impact your Brand Asset default settings for your account and for other emails.
Background, Width, Header
- Background Color
- Email Width (max-width of 600px)
- Show header toggle (on or off)
- Postal Address
Text format styles allow you to manage font-family, text-size, and color for the following:
- headings 1-4
- link color and link underline styles
- text size
- text color
- button color
Add Email Content
Edit or add content to a section by hovering your cursor over the part of the email you'd like to edit. When you hover over an individual element, you can move, duplicate, or delete that element.
You can edit the background and columns or add new content to a particular email section.
Click the Edit Background or Edit Layout button to edit a section’s background styles to include an image or set a different background color.
Then, adjust the settings that appear to the left of the Visual Builder.
To insert an additional column to the email, click the + icon where you'd like it to place the new column.
Select one of the following types of elements from the icons to the left of the email to add to your email:
- Social Links
Upload or drag a new image into your account's image library, or insert a previously uploaded image into the email. You can also use a URL if you have an image URL.
When you upload a new image, consider the following:
- Compatible image formats include JPEG, PNG, and GIF.
- Images exceeding the maximum 1800px width are automatically downsized to fit that spec.
- Images are automatically resized for mobile.
Video files are not supported by the Visual Email Builder
Once you've placed an image in your email, click on it to pull up a few additional settings:
- Source lets you swap the current image for another in its place. Or, you can enter the URL to an external image you might be hosting outside of Drip.
- Link lets you turn the image into a hyperlink. Enter the URL to the web page where you'd like to direct any person that clicks it.
- Add ALT text for your image. ALT text is accessed by screen reader users to provide them with a text equivalent of images.
- Alignment lets you align the image to the right, center, or left inside of the email column it's placed.
- Vertical spacing lets you expand or contract the amount of white space that should be above and below the image.
Once an image is deleted from your image library, Drip cannot retrieve the image. It is recommended to always keep duplicates of your image files in an external storage source.
Use this component to add text via the editor to your email section.
External fonts are not currently supported for emails built with the Visual Builder.
Insert a call-to-action (CTA) button element into your email.
When you place a CTA button into your email, you can set the URL where the button should direct the reader once clicked. You can also modify the button's color, alignment, width, and vertical spacing.
Insert a spacer if you’d like to add a space between two elements.
A spacer can run horizontally only. Once a spacer is in place, you can modify its height. Use the slider to the left of the builder. Keep the display line enabled to change its width, stroke, style, and color.
To control how your email is displayed on a mobile device, click the Mobile tab. In the Mobile View, you can change the way columns and content are placed with the flip and stacking icons.
When the same email is edited in multiple tabs, the autosave feature in the Visual Email Builder will alert you to make sure that changes aren’t accidentally overwritten.
Click Save my changes to overwrite changes you want to keep. Click Refresh this page to reload the page and discard the conflicting changes.
Recommended Specs for the Visual Builder
Consider the following specs before designing an email with the Visual Builder:
Laptop and desktop computers with touchscreens have been reported to get in the way of some design features in this builder. It's recommended to disable touchscreen features on your device.
Recommended browsers for designing with this builder include Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.